goldsrc mapping
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» unity3d half-life map viewer
Modifing compiled bsp`s  I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2019 8:15 pm by Admin

» Get 6 months free pluralsight
Modifing compiled bsp`s  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 10:43 am by Admin

» hammer Game Configurations File
Modifing compiled bsp`s  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 27, 2017 10:54 am by Admin

» WIP Hammermate
Modifing compiled bsp`s  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 8:25 pm by Admin

» BSP anti decompiling goldsrc maps
Modifing compiled bsp`s  I_icon_minitimeMon May 15, 2017 8:59 pm by Admin

» yard map a1
Modifing compiled bsp`s  I_icon_minitimeMon May 01, 2017 6:30 pm by Admin

» How a skybox can effect your map
Modifing compiled bsp`s  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2017 8:52 pm by Admin

» Setup guide for Half-life
Modifing compiled bsp`s  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2016 2:19 pm by Admin

» WIP dod_genesis
Modifing compiled bsp`s  I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2016 12:05 pm by Admin

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Modifing compiled bsp`s

Go down

Modifing compiled bsp`s  Empty Modifing compiled bsp`s

Post by Admin Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:07 pm

I`ve often wondered if its possible to add new brush based entities to compiled maps, it would be very difficult or impossible to edit the main world bsp but if each brush based model is a separate BSP could I take part of a compiled map and insert its parts like verts, clipnodes & edges into a compiled map?

http://hlbsp.sourceforge.net/index.php?content=bspdef

So this is my new side project, to see if I can insert a new aaatrigger brush in to a compiled map and document the attempt here.

Admin
Admin

https://goldsrc.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Modifing compiled bsp`s  Empty Re: Modifing compiled bsp`s

Post by Admin Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:08 pm

After sleeping on this I was thinking that it might be possible to add non-soild faces to the main bsp, this way they would not be editable to anyone without knowledge of the inside of the Half-life bsp, at the same time it might also be possible to stop faces from being rendered but I cant think of any good uses for that.

I think the first step is to install unity and poke around in the PVS

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:08 pm

I got a little side tracked with an old project to make a light-map importer / exporter so that you could either edit the shadows in my program or export them to a paint package, but thing that bothered me was that in half-life you can switch lights on and off so this is done either in code or most likely during compile.

So to figure out how it `s done I made two identical maps one has two lights the other just one.

Modifing compiled bsp`s  210

I compiled and loaded the headers up only to find the number of bytes in the lightmaps are exactly the same, the difference in the number of entity chars is expected as these are just plain text that can be edited with bspedit.

Modifing compiled bsp`s  310

weird, I don't think  lights are done in game like the torch and gunfire effects or I could just add them to any compiled map to change the lighting,  but to make sure I removed both lights with bspedit and fired up the maps in dod and as seen below there was no visible change to the lighting Sad So the lighting is done during compile.

Modifing compiled bsp`s  2015-111

Ok I`m running out of ideas, is the lighting only done when you give the light a name so it can be switched off?
This makes sense making a new lightmap for every light that hits a face could make the bsp very large.

so back to hammer and add a switch to one of the lights.

Modifing compiled bsp`s  211

compile and load up the headers and I now have 294 bytes in the new map twice as many as in the other Very Happy I`ll have to look further but I guess you add both lightmaps together to get both lights and subtract the second to remove it, there must be some more info in the face to tell the engine the number of lights and perhaps a light name or ID

Modifing compiled bsp`s  110

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum